The Secchi Dip-In is a demonstration of the potential of volunteer monitors to gather environmentally important information on our lakes, rivers, and estuaries. Volunteers have been submitting information during the annual Dip-In since 1994. Please join them in this international effort to track changes in water quality! The Secchi Dip-In is part of Lakes Appreciation Month, where we celebrate our lakes throughout the month of July each year.
How to get involved!
ORGANIZE – Work through your local lake or watershed association or use SciStarter to plan a social event. Create and distribute advertisements locally.
PREPARE to take measurements by watching the NALMS student-produced “How to Take a Secchi Depth” video.
SHARE your activities on social media! Make sure to use our hashtags – #SDI2019, #LakesAppreciation
SUBMIT your data to the Secchi Dip-In Database. There are a few ways you can do this:
- Secchi Dip-In Spreadsheet: The folks at Gold Systems/AWQMS have developed a spreadsheet template that can be downloaded, filled in, and returned to NALMS via email. Check out our how-to video on how to use the template!
- Lake Observer App: You can also participate in the Secchi Dip-In and support lake-monitoring efforts by submitting your data through the Global Lake Ecological Observatory Network’s (GLEON) Lake Observer App. You can use a mobile app, the new web-based data entry form or a batch data entry form (registration and login is required). Training videos for downloading and using the mobile app to submit data to the Secchi Dip-In can be found here: https://www.lakeobserver.org/guide.
- Secchi Dip-In Paper Form: If you prefer the old-fashioned way of entering your data on a paper form, you can download a copy of the paper form here and send it to us via email or regular mail (instructions provided on the form).
- Even for those using the spreadsheet or the app, we recommend also recording your observations on a paper form or in a field notebook.
- Please submit via the app or one of the other methods listed above … but not more than one!
FEEDBACK – Share your thoughts and photos! E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to our 2019 sponsors!