Submit videos to the NALMS student video contest!
When you think of easy to understand educational tutorials on lake management – think NALMS.
NALMS aims to create the first online repository of easily accessible information about the basics of lake management and the use and construction of limnological equipment. The NALMS student video series is designed to help teach citizen scientists, students, and the general public about lake management, the equipment used to monitor lake processes, and how to make limnological equipment. Because NALMS recognizes that current undergraduate and graduate students represent the future of freshwater research, we are looking for students to create and produce these short (10 minute max) educational videos.
NALMS student video contest timeline
Each quarter, a new RFV will be released here, on the Student Video Series webpage. New RFVs will be released 1-Oct, 1-Jan, 1-Apr, and 1-Jul. Students are allowed and encouraged to submit videos for more than 1 RFV cycle. See below for the past and current RFVs.
Deadlines for video submission are 1-Dec, 1-Mar, 1-July, and 1-Sep. For each new RFV, students will have 2 months from the release date to submit videos on the RFV theme. NALMS will then review all video submissions and award the top video. Detailed contest rules and submission guidelines can be found on the Video Evaluation Rubric. Any approved videos will require a Release Form before it is posted on any of NALMS’ online platforms.
The student(s) of the top awarded video for each RFV will receive:
- $500 USD travel award to the annual NALMS conference (if a video was authored by multiple students, the $500 award will be split equally among the authors, and the NALMS student membership award will be shared among the authors)
- An award and recognition at the annual NALMS conference
- FREE promotion on the NALMS website, YouTube channel, and social media platforms
- Two videos will be selected as the runners-up and winners awarded a one-year student memberships to NALMS
Past and current RFVs
- Measuring Secchi Depth RFV #1 (submission deadline: 1-Dec-2016)
- Mixing and Stratification RFV #2 (submission deadline: 1-Mar-2017)
- Macrophytes RFV #3 (submission deadline: 1-July-2017)
Upload video submissions
- Upload video submissions here! This link will take you to Dropbox (where you will receive instruction that Alyssa Schulte – NALMS Marketing Director – is requesting your files. You DO NOT need a Dropbox account to participate!)