Student Video Series: Macrophytes
Request for NALMS Student Video Series: “Macrophytes”
In addition to the basic requirements (which can be found in the Video Evaluation Rubric), this video must also cover:
- Explanation of major macrophyte groups (free-floating, rooted, emergent, etc.)
- Role of macrophytes (or a particular macrophyte) in structuring habitat in lake ecosystems
- Explanation of macrophyte collection and identification
- Appropriate tools for control or removal of nuisance macrophytes
- Positive and negative effects of macrophyte removal in lakes and reservoirs
You can cover these items through a general overview or specific examples but need to be consistent. If you choose to give a general overview for #2, you need to do so for #2-5. If you choose to use a specific example (e.g., Eurasian watermilfoil), #3-5 need to cover the same organism. For example, you cannot use Eurasian watermilfoil for #3 and starry stonewort for #4. Site-specific case studies (e.g., Eurasian watermilfoil in Lake X) are appropriate as long as their limitation (i.e., what works in Lake X may not work in other systems) are made clear to the general audience.
DEADLINE for video submissions – July 1, 2017.
Interested in learning more? Visit the Student Video Series webpage.
- S Prev