Seeking Editor for LakeLine Magazine
The North American Lake Management Society (NALMS) seeks an editor for LakeLine Magazine, a quarterly publication that informs and educates readers about current issues regarding lakes and lake management. Issues are theme-based with all of the articles addressing a specific topic. Most NALMS members primarily receive the magazine in print.
The ideal candidate must possess:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in the water resources field.
- Working knowledge of NALMS and its history.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior English writing and editing skills, and demonstrated experience.
- Experience with M.S. Word and Excel, and with Adobe Photoshop or similar publishing software.
- Ability to work independently, budget time, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to oversee/work with production editor to approve/guide layout and presentation.
Specific duties of the Editor include, but are not limited to the following:
- Identify issue themes independently or after consultation with NALMS members, the NALMS Board, and/or Publications Committee.
- Solicit 6-7 articles from potential authors for each issue.
- Article submission dates are Jan. 1 (spring issue), April 1 (summer), July 1 (fall), and Oct 1 (winter) to allow publication and delivery of each issue via postal mail in March-April (spring issue), June-July (summer issue), September-October (fall issue), and December-January (winter issue).
- Edit each article; send edits back to authors until each is in final form. Use the AP Style Manual and editing guidelines prepared by past LakeLine editors. This stage is the last opportunity for authors to modify their article.
- Prepare a one-page (~700 words) “From the Editor” column that introduces the issue.
- Compile all articles, figures, columns, and announcements. Text should be in Word, images and figures in *.tif, *.jpg, or PDF files. Submit complete electronic package to the Production Editor for layout.
- Work closely with Production Editor to correct any errors; print and proof laid-out issue; return marked-up proof to Production Editor. This can be scanned and returned electronically.
- Proof paper Galley Proof from the publisher. Return it to the Production Editor with any mark-ups via next-day express mail.
- Once printed, send PDF files of each article (prepared by Production Editor) to corresponding authors along with any requested hardcopies.
- Maintain and update author-specific materials such as “Instructions for LakeLine Authors.”
- Work with the NALMS Membership and Marketing Director to identify, recruit/obtain, and retain advertisers.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter detailing their experience and how they meet each of these qualifications to: Frank Wilhelm, President, North American Lake Management Society, email@example.com, by August 15th, 2017.