Research Technician I
Website Paul Smith's College Adirondack Watershed Institute
Position: AWI Research Technician I START YOUR APPLICATION
Status: Full-time, 12-month, non-exempt
Salary: $15-$18 per hour based on qualifications and experience
The Adirondack Watershed Institute is a program of Paul Smith’s College, a private undergraduate college located in the heart of the Adirondack Park in upstate New York. The mission of AWI is to create knowledge about terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems, provide real world experiences to undergraduate students, and to engage the Adirondack community in ways that facilitate stewardship of our natural resources.
This Research Technician I position is responsible for ensuring that samples are processed efficiently through the environmental research lab.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure timely preparation, processing, and analysis of samples
- Enter laboratory data into AWI’s Laboratory Information Management System
- Assist Laboratory Manager with data reporting and delivery to clients
- Assist in developing new laboratory methods and documents associated with applying for ELAP/NELAC certification
- Troubleshoot analytical problems and identify solutions
- Work proactively to improve existing laboratory methods (e.g. increase method performance, or decrease method run times)
- Maintain laboratory equipment to include cleaning lab work area, dishes, chemical inventory, calibration, and instruments
- Follow safety and quality assurance guidelines
- Assist in training seasonal employees
- Assist with field work, including the operation of PSCAWI motor vehicles, as needed
- Other related duties as assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, chemistry, biology, or related field.
- Familiarity with analytical methods and wet chemistry techniques.
Ability to calibrate and operate the following instruments without direct supervision: ICP-OES, FIA-IC, TOC/N, pH/Cond, multiprobe data sondes.
- Ability to work autonomously and proactively.
Strong computer and data entry skills, especially with spreadsheet, database, and instrumentation software.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Ability to work in inclement weather, both on and off the water
- New York State Driver’s license and driving record acceptable to the College’s insurance carrier.
To Apply: Applicants should complete the on-line application and submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
It is the policy of Paul Smith’s College to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
To apply for this job please visit paulsmith.hrmdirect.com.