NALMS Inland HAB Program
Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs) and cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) impact lakes and reservoirs around the world. While research on the ecology, monitoring, and management of HABs exists, it is diffuse and not easy to find.
Our goal is to solve these issues with the Inland HAB Program. Please use this page as your one stop shop for HAB-related info and resources. If you are a water resource manager, concerned citizen, or a state, federal, and university scientist – this page is for you!
– General Cyanobacteria Information
– Selected Blue Green References
– Human/Animal Health Risks of Blue Green Algae
– Risk Management of Blue Green Algae
– Blue Green Algae Field Sampling
– See LakeLine, Summer 2009, pp. 12-15.
– The USGS website for a podcast on harmful algal blooms.
– The EPA website for general information and resources on harmful algal blooms
Click on an individual state below to find state specific resources.
- California Department of Public Health- Blue-Green Algae (Cyanobacteria) Blooms
• General info and links to additional resources.
- State Water Resources Control Board – Blue-Green Algae and Harmful Blooms
• Resources and images of cyanobacteria and other algae.
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection – Information on Freshwater Algal Blooms
• General info, links to state resources and HAB image galleries.
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection – Blue-green Algae
• General cyanobacteria info and links to sampling, response and analyses, and health tip resources.
- Florida Department of Health – Cyanobacteria (Blue-Green Algae) Blooms
• Information on environmental, health, and economic impacts.
- Florida Department of Health – FAQ (pdf) file
• Answers frequently asked questions about cyanobacteria and blue-green algae.
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission – Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
• Information on Red Tides.
- Coastal Health District – Harmful Algal Blooms
• Link to the Coastal Georgia Harmful Algae Bloom Response Plan.
- Indiana Resource Agencies – Addressing Concerns about Blue-Green Algae
• Info on specific lake and reservoir conditions and links to general and state-specific info and resources.
- Iowa Department of Public Health – Harmful Algal Blooms
• Website provides general information and links to more detailed information about monitoring.
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources – Iowa’s Beach Water Monitoring Program
• Website related to beach monitoring in the state.
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment – Harmful Algal Blooms
• Current advisories/warnings and general HAB info.
- Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks Tourism – Weekly news
• Updated HAB advisories for the state.
- United States Geological Survey, Kansas Water Science Center – Cyanobacteria
• General HAB info, links to other resources, and specific info related to water bodies in Kansas and the nation.
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection – Cyanobacteria (Blue-Green Algae)
• General info on cyanobacteria.
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources – Harmful Algal Blooms in Maryland
• General cyanobacteria info, links to current species maps and blooms events and link to report HAB events.
- Health and Human Services – Algae Information
• Cyanobacteria advisories, guidelines for recreational water bodies, fact sheets, images, and links to resources.
- Minnesota Department of Health – Harmful Algal Blooms and Microcystin
• General info.
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency – Blue-Green Algae and Harmful Algal Blooms
• General info and contact info for exposure and reporting.
- New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services – Recreational Exposure to Cyanobacteria
• General info and bloom images.
- New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services – Beach Advisories
• Current beach advisories.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation – Blue-Green Harmful Algal Blooms
• General info and links to current bloom notices, photo gallery and previous bloom notices.
- New York State Department of Health – Blue-Green Algae
• Health risks info.
- North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services – Cyanobacteria (Blue-Green Algae)
• Health risks info.
- Ohio EPA – Ohio Algae Information for Recreational Waters
• General info and links to a HAB advisory map and a bloom photo gallery.
- Ohio EPA – Visual Identification of Cyanobacteria Blooms guide (pdf)
• Info for identifying cyanobacterial blooms.
- Oregon Health Authority – Harmful Algal Bloom Surveillance program
• Current water conditions and algal bloom advisories.
- Oregon Health Authority – Cyanotoxins
• General info on cyanotoxins.
- Oregon Health Authority – Public Health Advisory Guidelines (pdf)
• Guidelines for issuing and lifting public health advisories in Oregon.
- State of Rhode Island Department of Health – Harmful Algal Blooms
• General info and links to beach closures.
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources – South Carolina Algal Ecology Lab
• General info and links to state specific researchers and projects.
- Texas Parks and Wildlife – Harmful Algal Blooms
• Info on Golden Algae, Red Tide, and other harmful algae.
- Texas Parks and Wildlife – Harmful Algal Blooms Research & Education on Facebook
• Facebook link for up to date information, images, and advisories.
- Vermont Department of Health – Cyanobacteria: Blue-Green Algae
• General info, guidance for Vermont communities, and contact information to report a bloom.
- Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation – Cyanobacteria in Vermont
• Links to info on reporting blooms and photo galleries.
- Virginia Department of Health – Cyanobacteria
• General info and links to algal bloom maps, FAQs, Pfiesteria, and Beach Monitoring.
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality – Virginia Harmful Algal Bloom Task Force
• Contact information for task force.
- Washington State Toxic Algae – Freshwater Algae Bloom Monitoring Program
• Specific lake data, image galleries of blooms, general info and guidance on how to report a bloom.
- Washington Department of Health – Guidance for Managing Cyanobacteria in Lakes
• Resources for managers of recreational water bodies.
- Department of Ecology, State of Washington – Freshwater Algae Control Program
• HAB resources and links.
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services – Blue-Green Algae
• General info, image galleries and a link to report algae related illness.
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources – Blue-Green Algae
• General info and links to health, drinking water, and recreational risks.
- University of Wisconsin – Harmful Algal Blooms
• Info and resources for researchers and monitoring in Lake Mendota.