Public Policy Resources
Information on environmental issues is continually changing and the following are links to help you stay current on these issues:
- Get the latest information on any bill, committee or legislator in the US Congress.
- The Policy Action Network is designed to enhance communication between the ASLO Public Policy Office, Aquatic Scientists, and policy makers in the U.S., Canada, and the EU.
- Weekly News Briefs from NACD focused on policy news from NRCS, USDA and other federal agencies of relevance to conservation districts. Published every Tuesday. NACD also publishes monthly BufferNotes and Forestry Notes.
- SERC focuses on state-level legislative environmental initiatives and offers a free weekly e-mail newsletter.
- ENN is a free-access Web site with daily news reports on national and international environmental issues.
- The ENS Newswire is a subscription-based Web site with daily news reports on a variety of environmental issues
Contact your Member of Congress
The US Congress' web site, Thomas, contains a wealth of information including Congressional contacts, who's on what committee, track bills, and go to your state government home page to get the same kind of information at the state level.
The U.S. Government Web site at (http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/) provides current news, access to federal agencies, information on federal commissions, councils and advisory groups, links to Congress, and links to the Judicial Branch, which includes the Supreme Court and its searchable databases of federal court decisions.
Another Web site (http://www.loc.gov/law/guide/usexec.html), provides access to a searchable database for federal rules (Code of Federal Regulations).
Tips on writing your Congressman/woman:
A good letter has three components:
- Identify the issue in the first paragraph - use bill number if you know it.
- Tell why it is important - use local examples they can relate to.
- Say what action you would like them to take.
Be courteous, be to the point, and include key information, using examples to support your position. Address only one issue per letter, and try to keep it to one or two pages.
Additional Links of Interest
EPA Program Links
Other Federal Agency Links
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Other Organizations with Legislative Background & Updates
- American Sport fishing Association
- Environmental Defense - Conservation bill updates
- Izaak Walton League
- League of Conservation Voters - Congressional environmental vote scorecards
- Natural Resources Defense Council - Conservation bill updates
- Northeast Midwest Institute - Policy recommendations to congress
- Water Environment Federation
- The Wildlife Society
- World Watch Institute - Environmental Trends
- Sierra Club