NALMS Achievement Awards
NALMS Call for Achievement Award NominationsWe know that there are many individuals, organizations, programs and corporations working hard each day to protect and enhance our lakes, ponds and reservoirs. Be sure that they receive the recognition that they so justly deserve by nominating them for a NALMS Achievement Award (see instructions below). Please contact Dick Osgood with any questions.
NALMS Awards Committee Chair
Nominations DeadlineAugust 12, 2014
Each year NALMS recognizes individuals, organizations, and programs, corporations and projects that have contributed to the Society and to the science of lake and watershed management. Presented at the annual NALMS international symposium banquet, these awards were established to encourage the advancement of the principle goal of the North American Lake Management Society, that being the forging of partnerships among citizens, scientists, and professionals to foster the management and protection of lakes and reservoirs for today and tomorrow. These awards recognize outstanding efforts of our colleagues and encourage similar activities. The awards to be presented this year at the Society's 34th Annual Symposium in Tampa, Florida (November 11 - 14, 2014) include:
Secchi Disk AwardFor the individual member considered to have contributed the most to the achievement of NALMS’s goals.
Jim Flynn AwardFor the organizational member considered to have contributed the most to NALMS’ goal.
Friends of NALMS AwardAwarded to individuals or corporations making major contributions to NALMS. Recipients do not have to be NALMS members, and “contributions” extend beyond monetary donations.
NALMS Technical Merit Awards
Successful ProjectsFor demonstrable success in achieving lasting improvements in water quality or recreational utility through lake or watershed management. Projects are evaluated with respect to project success, cost-effectiveness and benefit duration.
Volunteer ActionsFor individuals or groups involved in documented grass-roots lake or watershed management efforts, with emphasis on local involvement, creative methods of funding and demonstrable success.
Research EffortsFor individuals or groups performing research that contributes to the science of lake management. Selection criteria are relevance, approach and applicability. (Copies of journal papers should accompany nominations).
Public Education/OutreachFor individuals, groups or programs that have creatively and effectively contributed to the development and dissemination of watershed management or related educational programs, materials or assistance.
- A single plaque is given for each Technical Merit Award, although additional certificates can be provided where several individuals are responsible for a project. The Award Committee appreciates the assistance of nominators in ensuring that recipients are present at the Annual Banquet to receive their awards. The Awards Committee may also request photographs or other graphic materials be made available for the Award Presentation.
Award EligibilityRecipients of the Secchi Disk and Outstanding Corporation awards must be NALMS members; otherwise these awards are open to any individual or organization contributing to lake science or management. Current NALMS board members, and members of the NALMS Award Committee are not eligible for nomination.
Nomination InstructionsAny individual or organization may make nominations for these awards. To submit a nomination please provide the following information:
- Your name, title, mailing address, telephone number, and email.
- Full name of the nominee (or project), present position, organization or affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and email.
- A 500-word, clear, concise, and complete description of the achievement to be recognized and statement of how the efforts of the individual or organization meet the award criteria.
- Electronic transmission of the nomination form and supporting materials in preferred, but paper copies may be sent, but please send them early so that they can be converted to electronic format by the nomination deadline.